Monday, July 9, 2012

What Libertarians Talk About on Their Birthdays

Risen like a ghost
from a life already past
the night played host
to a discussion so fast
and furious, one sure to last

in my head for weeks to come
for we spoke on a matter of great import
one affecting all, not just some;
we spoke of reform, not of tort
in the name of America, since our time is short

before we gather at the polls
to cast a vote
for whom, nobody really knows,
policies are a coat
until one reaches office and strikes at the throat

of our great nation
once humble and free,
full of elation
as a soldier home from an Iraqi
tour, presented to his family.

--
Mr. H's insight:
This poem is about a conversation I had with someone I used to run into quite a bit when I worked at a grocery store through my last year of college and them some. I ran into him over the weekend and being a self-proclaimed Libertarian, we had a bit of a chat. This one could have been longer, but I feel it still manages to say something.

No comments:

Post a Comment